Can we just take a second to savor the fact that Miami beat Madison Bumgarner with MLB hits leader Dee Gordon on the bench, and Giancarlo Stanton doing his best impression of looking like someone who’d be lucky to hit water if he fell out of a boat? Cause that’s just what happened, as the Marlins beat the Giants 6-2 Saturday night, guaranteeing at least a split in the four game series that concludes this afternoon in San Francisco.
- Madison Bumgarner had three more strikeouts- 10- than the entire Marlins staff.
- Didn’t matter, as David Phelps surrendered only one run in his fourth consecutive QS.
- For the fifth consecutive start, Phelps allowed 2 runs or less to score.
- J.T. Realmuto is hitless in the series after an 0 for 3 night.
- Stanton went 0 for 4 with four Ks, and has left 6 men on base over the last two games.
- Just a strikeout worse than Christian Yelich, who also has a two-game futility streak going.
- And about all this “Stanton is awesome out west” talk…he’s batting .190 at SF since 2013.
- Dee Gordon sat for a second day: both his backups combined for a 2 for 4, 3 RBI night.
- Ichiro and Justin Bour both whiffed in pinch-hit efforts, while Michael Morse went 1 for 4.