I’m gonna come right out and say it- tonight’s game kind of felt like this. After 7 innings of quality, exciting baseball, the 8th came along like..well, like what Rube Baker equated the pain of a breakup with. The Washington Nations beat the Miami Marlins 6-4, while Miami’s worst pitcher takes the mound tomorrow before the Fish face the second best pitcher in baseball on Wednesday.
- David Phelps was excellent in a quality outing, allowing 2 ER in 6.1 innings of work.
- That second run was allowed to score by the bullpen, after Phelps walked him.
- He was allowed to bat with a man on and 2 outs in the 6th, despite having thrown 89 pitches.
- Justin Bour started at first base, and hit his first home-run of the season.
- Even more tellingly for Michael Morse, Mike Redmond chose Reid Brignac as a pinch hitter over Morse to start the 9th inning.
- Ichiro went 2 for 4 with an RBI, raising his average to .282. He’s at 2,864 for his career.
- Miami had the lead three times in this game, including the top of the 8th.
- Dee Gordon slapped a single in the 9th to extend his hit streak to 9 games.
- Talk about a case of the Mondays: Miami is 0-4 in Monday games this year.