The Miami Marlins saw two streaks come to an end Sunday afternoon, as they dropped their fifth game in six tries on the home stand, falling to the visiting Tampa Bay Rays 8-5.
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia’s second hit of the season came as a pinch hitter in the bottom of the 9th, a solo home run that was a first for him and the team on the season; Miami was the last team to homer this year.
- Miami’s string of error-free ball came ended on a Giancarlo Stanton bobble in the top of the 1st.
- The Marlins remain however the only team in baseball to not win a game in 9 innings of play.
- Center fielder Marcel Ozuna showed up late for practice and was benched as a result; Ichiro Suzuki started in his place, going 1-3 with a sacrifice fly for his first RBI of the year.
- Miami lost their 2nd and 3rd string catchers to the exact same injury, as a pair of broken ring fingers will send both Don Kelly and Jeff Mathis to the DL.
- For only the second time this year, a Marlins starter failed to go 6 innings; Henderson Alvarez 7 hits and 4 earned runs in five innings of work.
- Alvarez reported elbow tightness after the game, and will undergo an MRI.
- Every Marlins pitcher that entered the contest allowed a run to score, a first this season.
- Giancarlo Stanton saw his average fall to .158 following the loss, yet has the third highest OBP on the team at .360, behind Christian Yelich and Dee Gordon.